Birmingham / UAB Women’s Rugby
Last updated August 14, 2019
Yes! You read that right! We are currently in the works starting up a Birmingham women’s rugby team. We will be combining with the newly formed UAB women’s rugby team for the 2019-2020 season, with hopes that in the future, Birmingham can house both teams.
If you or someone you know is interested in joining, feel free to reach out to the email below, or just come to practice! No experience is necessary; we will teach you everything you need to know!!
Fall & Spring Schedule:
Practices: Tuesday & Thursday, 5:00-7:00 PM
UAB Rec/Intramural Fields
5th Ave S & 12th St S
Birmingham, AL 35233
Matches: Saturdays TBD
— schedule subject to change —
- I’ve never played rugby before, is that okay?
- Absolutely!! We were all beginners at one point. We welcome you, and will teach you everything.
- What do I need to bring with me to practice?
- If you have cleats (soccer are best) and want to bring them that is wonderful! If you want to give it a try before purchasing any, regular gym/tennis shoes are fine. Wear clothes that you don’t mind getting dirty and sweaty. Eventually you will also need a mouthguard, but you can come check us out first if you like!
- Will I get hurt?
- As with any activity there is always a chance of injury. Rugby is a high-contact, full-tackle sport, however, safety is ALWAYS our top priority. We will teach you how to do everything with proper technique and form, and allow you to jump into drills as you feel comfortable, so that you only walk away with some bumps and bruises.
- Are there two womens’ teams?
- Not yet. Currently, we are ONE team. You do not have to be a UAB student to play! We are also accepting women from Birmingham and surrounding areas. We hope that in the near future, we will have enough students and non-students to form an official collegiate and city club team.
- Anything else I need to know?
- Ask anyone on the team, and they will quickly tell you how much rugby has changed their lives. Gain new friends, get in shape, travel and learn something new. Come give it a try!