Last Updated 6/28/19 (at 8:10am CT)
2019 Vulcan 7s
Birmingham – June 29, 2019
– The only change made 6/28/19 was to update the “Tournament Rules” section.
– Registration has officially closed.
– We have 28 teams participating.
– 20 men’s, 3 women’s, 3 U19 boys, and 2 U13 flag. See the schedule posted below under “When”
U13 co-ed flag, U19 boys tackle, Men’s, and Women’s. The U15 boys tackle bracket did not happen this year, sorry.
–Eligibility Information: EVERYONE who plays in our tournament (even youth) MUST be CIPP compliant with USA Rugby. There are no exceptions to this rule. Motley teams are more than welcome, but they must still be CIPP complaint. This means they have a USA Rugby Membership ID. They will need to know this ID number. Age is determined as of Sept 1, 2018 (not 2019).
Tournament : Saturday June 29, 2019
Tournament Venue : Heardmont Park: 5458 Cahaba Valley Road, Birmingham, Alabama 35242
Social Venue : Zydeco – 2001 15th Avenue South, Birmingham, Alabama 35205
- Note= We are ramping up the social this year! This is going to be a fun pirate themed social with drink specials and a DJ on the patio with games.
This hotel is walking distance from the social and about 25 minutes from the tournament
Conveniently located Hilton Room Rate @ $129.00 (w/tax $151.57 inclusive). These are 2 queen beds and floor space available for blowup mattress(es).
Sharing a room? Here’s the breakdown players can pay per night inclusive:
– $75.78 if shared 2 People per room per night
– $50.52 if shared 3 People per room per night
– $37.89 if shared 4 People per room per night
– $30.32 if shared 5 People per room per night
– and so on…
– Breakfast can be à la carte which can be as low as ~$3 for a quick bite.
– Or buffet breakfast will be Discounted @ $10.00 per person per day as opposed to $15.00.
– Or players can bring their own bananas from home for some breakfast.
– Parking will be Discounted @ $10.00 per day per car as opposed to the normal $14.00.
– Or you can park for free along the city streets on weekends.
– Within walking distance to and from the social at Zydeco
– Complimentary Airport Shuttle to and from the Airport and within 1 Mile Radius of Hotel
– Complimentary Wi-Fi in all Guest Rooms
Cutoff Date for Discounted Rooms:
– The cutoff date for which reservations must be received is Friday, June 14, 2019. All room nights which have not been reserved as described above will be deemed to be room nights which your group will not use, and they will lose discounts and be returned to the hotel’s general inventory.
- Chairs, coolers, tents, etc., are welcome
- There will be a food truck on site. Ruscelli’s (taco pizza and other great food)
- Air conditioned bathrooms and a portable toilet will be available
- Tournament t-shirts and other rugby merchandise will be for sale. Cash, credit, debit, and paypal will be accepted
– Each individual player must check in at our Administration Tent to sign a special CIPP form
– All halves are 7 minutes with 90 seconds for halftime
– If a team isn’t on the field by 5 minutes after scheduled time, it’s a forfeit
– Forfeit score is 20-0
– Coin toss for kickoff option
– Seeding determined by record
– Winner of pools move forward, quarter or semifinals. All others seeded for bottom tier games.
– Ties are allowed in pool play of Women’s, U19, U13 and Men.
– For Men’s: Head-to-head for 1st tiebreaker. Total tries for 2nd tiebreaker. In playoffs 5-minute overtime period, up to 2 then drop kicks.
– Rolling subs until playoffs. Then 5 subs per game.
– Prizes for 1st and 2nd place winners. The Men’s bracket will also provide a prize for 5th Place
– U13 Flag = Best two out of three. All three matches will be played.
– U19 and Womens brackets = Double round robin. Champion crowned but no finals to be played
– U13, U19 and Women’s brackets are allowed rolling subs
– The tourney schedule and pools will be facilitated at the Admin tent
- Non-Contact (flag rugby) laws: Click here for the U12 / U13 flag rugby laws and “progressions” used. (updated 5/2/18)
- JV flag (likely U15 or U16 age) laws (if needed): Click here for the JV flag rugby laws and “progressions” used. (updated 5/2/18)
- USA Rugby rules will determine eligibility for the tournament. That includes the age determination date of September 1, 2018.
How much to register a team:
Men’s: Registration DEADLINE = June 26, 2019. Early bird discount for men’s clubs ends June 9, 2019 for $250, then it goes up to $300.
Women’s: $250. Registration DEADLINE = June 26, 2019.
College (Men’s and Women’s): $250. Registration DEADLINE = June 26, 2019.
Youth (including Flag, U15, and U19): $100. Registration DEADLINE = June 26, 2019.
Dress Code at the Social: This is not mandatory but we encourage you to dress with the pirate theme in mind.
Our Tournament Director is DC Miles at firstname.lastname@example.org. or you can leave a message for DC on our team hotline 205-933-MAUL.
Data from previous years is below:
Past Vulcan 7s Winners:
2018 = Men’s = Birmingham A, Women’s = Memphis, U19 = CAYR, U12 = CAYR Red
2017 = Men’s Premier = Optimus, Men’s Social = …Women’s = … U19 = Ravenwood Raptors, JV = Ravenwood Raptors, U12 = CAYR
2016 = Men’s Premier = Atlanta Old White, Men’s Social = U. of Alabama, Women’s = Knoxville Minx
2015 = Men’s Premier = GRU (Select Side), Men’s Social = Jackson
2014 = Mens Premier = New Orleans, Women’s = Defiant, Men’s Social = Gadsden
2013 = Old White
2012 = Birmingham
1984 – 2011 = Can’t recall all of them