Web Page Last Updated 6/19/23
2023 Vulcan 7s = (40th Annual)
Birmingham, Alabama – June 17, 2023
-Thank you to everyone who attended and everyone who helped. It was a wonderful day. The list of winners is near the bottom of this page. See you next time.
- Click below for the welcome packet, including the pools, brackets, schedule, map of Heardmont Park, tournament rules, etc. Please know the info is subject to change, but this will help.
- Men’s National Qualifier Bracket
- Men’s Open Bracket
- U19 boys
- Youth co-ed non-contact (age 7 and up 2 hand touch)
- Other youth brackets if there is enough interest.
–Eligibility Information: EVERYONE who plays in our tournament (even youth) MUST be registered with USA Rugby. This was formerly known as “being CIPPed.” There are no exceptions to this rule. Motley teams are more than welcome, but they must still be USA Rugby complaint. This means they have a USA Rugby Membership ID. They will need to know this ID number. Age is determined as of Sept 1, 2022.
Tournament : The tournament is Saturday June 17, 2023. See the welcome packet above for details.
Tournament Venue : Heardmont Park: 5458 Cahaba Valley Road, Birmingham, Alabama 35242
Social Venues : TBD
– Awards and beverages Saturday after the tournament = Location TBD
Tournament Hotel: Up to you
- Chairs, coolers, tents, etc., are welcome
- There will be a food truck.
- Air conditioned bathrooms and a portable toilet will be available
- Tournament t-shirts and other rugby merchandise will be for sale. Cash, credit, debit, venmo, square point of sale, and paypal will be accepted.
– For Qualifying Teams, each individual player must check in at our Administration Tent to sign a
special CIPP form.
– Qualifying Teams are limited to a maximum of 12 players per team. Feel free to enter more
than 1 team.
– All halves are 7 minutes with 90 seconds for halftime.
– If a team isn’t on the field by 5 minutes after scheduled time, it’s a forfeit.
– Forfeit score is 20-0.
– Yellow Cards are 2:00 minutes. Red Cards will result in expulsion from the tournament.
– Coin toss for kickoff option
– Seeding determined by record.
– Ties are allowed in pool play of Qualifying, Women’s and Men’s Brackets. Ties are also
allowed in all U19 girls and U19 boys matches.
– For Qualifying, Men’s, and Women’s Brackets, seeding will be based as follows: wins, then
head-to-head, then point differential, then tries.
– In playoffs 5-minute overtime period, up to 2 then drop kicks.
– Rolling subs until playoffs for Men’s and Women’s Open Brackets. Then 5 subs per game.
– The tourney schedule and pools will be facilitated at the Admin Tent.
– Tournament T-shirts will be on sale for $25 at the Admin Tent.
– Athletic Trainers will be on-hand to treat injuries. Preventive taping is your own responsibility.
– USA Rugby laws will determine eligibility for the tournament. That includes the age determination date of September 1, 2022.
– Chairs, coolers, tents, etc., are welcome.
– Port-o-lets will be provided. DO NOT USE THE BATHROOM IN THE WOODS!!!!!
– There are air-conditioned restrooms at the Senior Center by the Parking Lot.
– Dogs are allowed but must be leashed.
– No vehicles are allowed within the park.
– Food Trucks from Craft Burger and Frios Gourmet Pops will be available.
– Note: The U12 co-ed non contact age group will be playing two hand touch, not flag. Click Here for the 2022 “Rugby Alabama” two hand touch law variations for YOUTH Rugby
How do I register a team? Fill out the form below, but first, here’s more information:
Women’s and Men’s: Registration DEADLINE = 6/9/23. Early bird discount ends 5/17/23 for $325, then it goes up to $400.
Youth (including non-contact, U15, and U19): Only $1 thanks to [insert sponsor name here] sponsoring your youth team! Registration DEADLINE = 6/9/23.
Dress Code at the Social: The theme this year is TBD but you might want to bring a spare change of clothes. Just sayin.
Our Tournament Director is Shaun LaForty at ShaunLa40@gmail.com or you can text or call him at 205-317-1671.
Registration is closed for 2023
Data from previous years is below:
Past Vulcan 7s Winners:
2023 = Men’s Qualifier = TN Elite, Men’s Non-Qualifier = Bifurcated Bandits (mixture of Knoxville and Memphis), Women’s = Memphis Flamingos, U19 Boys = CAYR Warriors (Tuscaloosa), U12 co-ed two-hand touch = CAYR, U8 co-ed two hand touch = CAYR
2022 = Men’s Qualifier = Old White, Men’s Non-Qualifier = Pensacola, Women’s = Harpooners, U19 Boys = North Shore, U19 girls = Roswell Lady Rebels, U12 co-ed two-hand touch = CAYR Green
2021 = Men’s = Birmingham, Women’s = Pensacola, U19 Boys = Brother Martin, U13 co-ed flag = CAYR Gray (Blue)
2020 = No tournament due to COVID-19 restrictions
2019 = Men’s = Optimus, Women’s = Slum Dog Mobillionians, U19 Boys = Brother Martin, U13 Flag = CAYR
2018 = Men’s = Birmingham A, Women’s = Memphis, U19 Boys = CAYR, U12 co-ed flag = CAYR Red
2017 = Men’s Premier = Optimus, Men’s Social = …Women’s = … U19 Boys = Ravenwood Raptors, JV = Ravenwood Raptors, U12 = CAYR
2016 = Men’s Premier = Atlanta Old White, Men’s Social = U. of Alabama, Women’s = Knoxville Minx
2015 = Men’s Premier = GRU (Select Side), Men’s Social = Jackson
2014 = Mens Premier = New Orleans, Women’s = Defiant, Men’s Social = Gadsden
2013 = Old White
2012 = Birmingham
1984 – 2011 = Can’t recall all of them