Last Updated April 2, 2021
2021 Vulcan 7s
June 26, 2021
– As of April 2, 2021 we are moving forward with this tournament unless COVID restrictions change or there are other unforeseen circumstances.
- U19 boys (and girls if enough teams)
- U15 boys (and girls if enough teams)
- Youth co-ed non-contact (age 7 and up, possibly flag, possibly 2 hand touch)
–Eligibility Information: EVERYONE who plays in our tournament (even youth) MUST be registered with USA Rugby. This was formerly known as “being CIPPed.” There are no exceptions to this rule. Motley teams are more than welcome, but they must still be USA Rugby complaint. This means they have a USA Rugby Membership ID. They will need to know this ID number. Age is determined as of Sept 1, 2020.
Tournament : Saturday June 26, 2020. The schedule will most likely be posted here the week of the tournament but expect it to start around 8am or 9am Central Time and last until late afternoon or evening.
Tournament Venue : likely Heardmont Park: 5458 Cahaba Valley Road, Birmingham, Alabama 35242
Social Venue : Zydeco – 2001 15th Avenue South, Birmingham, Alabama 35205
- Chairs, coolers, tents, etc., are welcome
- There may be a food truck. This is TBD
- Air conditioned bathrooms and a portable toilet will be available
- Tournament t-shirts and other rugby merchandise will be for sale. Cash, credit, debit, venmo, square point of sale, and paypal will be accepted.
– Each individual player must check in at our Administration Tent to sign a special CIPP form
– All halves are 7 minutes with 90 seconds for halftime
– If a team isn’t on the field by 5 minutes after scheduled time, it’s a forfeit
– Forfeit score is 20-0
– Coin toss for kickoff option
– Seeding determined by record
– Winner of pools move forward, quarter or semifinals. All others seeded for bottom tier games.
– Ties are allowed in pool play of Women’s and Men’s. That is TBD for youth brackets.
– For Men’s and Women’s: Head-to-head for 1st tiebreaker. Total tries for 2nd tiebreaker. In playoffs 5-minute overtime period, up to 2 then drop kicks.
– Rolling subs until playoffs. Then 5 subs per game.
– Prizes for 1st and 2nd place winners. The Men’s bracket will also provide a prize for 5th Place
– U19, U15, and Co-ed youth non contact = TBD based on how many teams enter.
– The tourney schedule and pools will be facilitated at the Admin tent
- Ages 7-12 non-contact might be 2 hand touch or might be flag. If flag, here are the Non-Contact (flag rugby) laws: Click here for the U12 / U13 flag rugby laws and “progressions” used. (updated 5/2/18)
- Ages 12-14 non-contact might be 2 hand touch or might be flag. If flag, here are the JV flag (likely U15 or U16 age) laws (if needed): Click here for the JV flag rugby laws and “progressions” used. (updated 5/2/18)
- USA Rugby rules will determine eligibility for the tournament. That includes the age determination date of September 1, 2020.
How much to register a team:
Men’s: Registration DEADLINE = June 19, 2021 (no excuses this year). Early bird discount for men’s clubs ends June 6, 2021 for $250, then it goes up to $300.
Women’s: $250. Registration DEADLINE = June 19, 2021 (no excuses this year).
College (Men’s and Women’s): $250. Registration DEADLINE = June 19, 2021 (no excuses this year). Early bird discount for men’s clubs ends June 6, 2021 for $200, then it goes up to $250.
Youth (including non-contact, U15, and U19): $100. Registration DEADLINE = June 19, 2021 (no excuses this year).
Dress Code at the Social: TBD if there is a theme this year.
Our Tournament Director is Tyler Taunton at firstname.lastname@example.org. or you can text or call him at 201-787-7861.
Data from previous years is below:
Past Vulcan 7s Winners:
2020 = No tournament due to COVID-19 restrictions
2019 = Men’s = Optimus, Women’s = Slum Dog Mobillionians, U19 = Brother Martin, U13 Flag = CAYR
2018 = Men’s = Birmingham A, Women’s = Memphis, U19 = CAYR, U12 = CAYR Red
2017 = Men’s Premier = Optimus, Men’s Social = …Women’s = … U19 = Ravenwood Raptors, JV = Ravenwood Raptors, U12 = CAYR
2016 = Men’s Premier = Atlanta Old White, Men’s Social = U. of Alabama, Women’s = Knoxville Minx
2015 = Men’s Premier = GRU (Select Side), Men’s Social = Jackson
2014 = Mens Premier = New Orleans, Women’s = Defiant, Men’s Social = Gadsden
2013 = Old White
2012 = Birmingham
1984 – 2011 = Can’t recall all of them